[ANN] ALL products build 5.0b40

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Thu Sep 13 14:44:14 CDT 2012

Hi Jon,

>>> 2. Can we tell Valentina where to put the journal files (e.g. Application
>>> Support or Temporary Folder) so the users doesn't see it next to his
>>> databases?
>>
>> We was not going provide such feature.
>>
>> This can bring problem, that you try open from different folders two db with
>> the same name ...
>>
>> Beatrix have asked if its possible make it invisible ...
>> But we also not sure this is a good idea.
>
> Can't you use a UUID instead of a db name to identify the journal?

Jon, this is not common practice for dbs

> And what happens if the user moves the database to a different folder?

Valentina DB can have few filles right?
User must know that all this is db

> I'm  guessing that Valentina won't find it anymore.

Right.

So next open() may be will be okay, may be will bring some corruption in db
like 4.9 did

> But if we can specify the
> folder (I like the idea of the Application Support folder on Macs) this
> wouldn't be a problem.

Exists yet WIN and Linux

> I also don't think making it invisible is a great idea, especially if the
> files can become very large. A compromise might be the Temp folder...

Nooo!

TMP folder cannot be used, because journal must be SAVED after system
failure and restart.