Question about sandboxing

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Wed Oct 3 12:28:51 CDT 2012

On 10/3/12 5:34 PM, "Frank Lemke" <frank at knowledgeminer.com> wrote:

Hi Frank,

> Ruslan,
>
> another thought on sandboxing:
> As pointed out there is full read/write access in the App's container.
> I have seen now that when opening a db file you (Valentina) also create a
> .journal file in the original file's directory, which is removed again when db
> is closed.

yes

> This is of course a problem for sandboxed apps since this direct creation of
> files outside the container is not allowed. That's why console reports the
> error message.

Outside or inside?

> A solution might/should be that you provide an open message with a second path
> to a location in the app's container:
>
> - (void)open:(NSString*)inPath
> pathInSandboxedAppContainer:(NSString*)containerPath;

This should be in our V4CC class VDatabase?

> Using containerPath you can create and use the .journal file without problems.

Why you think so?

This path will come from where?  From YOUR objC code?

But as I understand, only USER can point path where HE/SHE allow to save
files for this app. Right?

> In this way the developer tells you where his container is located which you
> can use.

I do not think this will work

We can right now in vkernel ask for path  of .app package
But user should assign permission

> A question resulting from the current version 5 where the .journal file is not
> created, does it cause any problems, risks in using db files without that
> journal file? Or does it automatically switch into the version 4 mode?

If there is no joural, then db works like now do 4.9.
Yes more risk of db corruption.

I think for user should not be big poblem ONCE on first start of app give
permission for some folder.

Apple want this.