The query time shown in the vStudio query builder is wrong

Ivan Smahin ivan_smahin at paradigmasoft.com
Thu May 17 12:53:52 CDT 2012

On May 17, 2012, at 8:07 PM, william humphrey wrote:

> I have this query
>
> SELECT distinct t_family_name,t_given_name,p_description,v_shipID, tripulantes.tripulanteID FROM tripulantes
> LEFT JOIN linktripulantes on Link_tripulantes_linktripulantes
> LEFT JOIN  positions ON Link_positions_tripulantes
> left join voyages on linktripulantes.voyageID = voyages.voyageID
> WHERE v_shipID = '150' AND tripulantes.t_pax <> '1';
>
> It is on about 4000 records and I don't know enough about SQL and Valentina to make a link for the "linktripulantes" which is a link table itself that was brought in from when this database was converted from SQLite to Valentina
>
> This query takes 1 minute 15 seconds timed with my stop watch. It takes about 1 minute 20 seconds. It took longer than that until I converted some of the text fields to varchar.
>
> But what I'm reporting is that the Query time shown is vStudio is 321 milliseconds.  I just wish that were true.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions for me to try to speed this thing up?

Actually you see the time spending in parsing SQL, building the tree and execute that node tree - up to resulting cursor is ready.

After that, vStudio shows first records of that cursor - it seems this operation takes the rest of time.

Ivan Smahin
Senior Software Engineer
Paradigma Software, Inc
Valentina - The Ultra-Fast Database