BACKUP DATABASE

Fabian Kneubuehl support at ysd.ch
Fri Apr 6 03:39:08 CDT 2012

Hi Ruslan,

Our backup strategy (running as a service in Windows at night):

a)      Make a backup of DB files to ,folder'

b)      Pack the 3 resulting files into a ZIP archive named as the current
weekday e.g. Monday.ZIP

So we have 3 actual DB files and max. 7 ZIP archives in ,folder'

For a) I use currently BACKUP DATABASE TO  ,folder'. Then I have to search
for a folder with a name yyyymmdd_... that's the Valentina backup folder.
Then I use MoveFileEx API call to move the files to  ,folder' and as my last
step I delete the Valentina folder. After these steps I can start b).

It is no technical problem but it costs some time. In an earlier version of
our backup service I made a simple error using Now() as the source for the
date stamp. But if you start before midnight and the backup ends after you
never make a backup but you leave 1 TB data a year in Valentina folders!

Regards

Fabian