New "AS XML" feature

Thorsten Hohage thohage at genericobjects.de
Thu Oct 30 18:35:39 CDT 2008

Hi Bart,

On 2008-10-31, at 00:27, Bart Pietercil wrote:

> While I understand that you may not need it , we most certainly need
> the cdata in order to protect the text inside the tag's from being
> misinterpreted by the xml parser.
> What I don't understand is why you would want to suppress it ?

because _some_ xml parser handle this as "binary" data and are not
able to handle e.g. a search or translation, ... on CDATA content.
Compare it somehow with varchar <> binary db columns. So I know
several apps where CDATA was avoided as far as possible.

Furthermore while I understand that it _may_ be easier to handle utf-8
multilingual text inside of a CDATA - no encoding is needed - I ask
myself, what sense this would make for a number field?

BUT of course, choosing a good tool and you don't need to worry about.

regards,

Thorsten Hohage
--

Valentina Technology Evangelist
generic objects  GmbH - Leiter Solution Center Nord