Create a field type DECIMAL(5,2) like for money

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Jul 10 12:34:36 CDT 2008

On 7/10/08 3:15 PM, "william humphrey" <shoreagent at gmail.com> wrote:

> And while I'm asking why does Valentina have all those:
>
> LONG, SHORT, MEDIUM, UNSIGNED MEDIUM, UNSIGNED LONG, UNSIGNED LONG LONG,
> UNSIGNED SHORT, FLOAT, DOUBLE ? Geez, I can't believe there are people that
> understand the difference between all those kinds of integer fields and use
> them for various important ways in their database design? In an internet
> search I see it is from "C" programming and not from SQL.
>
> Can't it be a little simpler? Simpler is usually better!

"Simpler" you mean LESS types?

William, take mySQL and count how many TYPES they have.
    I think in fact more than Valentina.

And they also have ALL THIS INTEGER TYPES.
    including MEDIUM, UMEDIUM  (3 bytes)

So I do not see why you are surprised by Valentina types.

> I like:
>
> NUMERIC
> DECIMAL

These 2 types are very special. You sure you know how they works? :-)

> INTEGER
> SMALLINT
> BIGINT

Okay add here BYTE, MEDIUM, UMEDIUM,  UINT,  UBIGINT.

Remember, the more types support DBMS -- the better.

> I can understand those. Maybe most users of Valentina Studio are going to be
> people coming from SQL standards and not from C programming?

> If you used the same SQL conventions as everyone else it would also be easier
> to import and export SQL dumps.

In fact we support all that SQL names of types, William.

You must be able write in Valentina

    CREATE TABLE T (f1 BIGINT)

But later Valentina will answer that this is LONG type

> Is the goal for Valentina Studio and the further marketing of your database
> going to be for SQL users?

> Bill
>
> PS - I guess I should have kept this question simple and not ranted but...

I do not see here any fatal problems.

Valentina is able accept SQL commands according to SQL92. Point.