Create a field type DECIMAL(5,2) like for money

william humphrey shoreagent at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 07:15:46 CDT 2008

- *0003119*: *[SQL]* Can't create field with DECIMAL type (ruslan) -
resolved.
How do you do this using studio?  I (like most people) have simple ordinary
everyday things in my database like dates, simple numeric integers, money
(you know two decimal places) and CHAR (which I have figured out are called
STRING in Valentina and VARCHAR (which I'm glad you have).

And while I'm asking why does Valentina have all those:

LONG, SHORT, MEDIUM, UNSIGNED MEDIUM, UNSIGNED LONG, UNSIGNED LONG LONG,
UNSIGNED SHORT, FLOAT, DOUBLE ? Geez, I can't believe there are people that
understand the difference between all those kinds of integer fields and use
them for various important ways in their database design? In an internet
search I see it is from "C" programming and not from SQL.

Can't it be a little simpler? Simpler is usually better!

I like:

NUMERIC
DECIMAL
INTEGER
SMALLINT
BIGINT

I can understand those. Maybe most users of Valentina Studio are going to be
people coming from SQL standards and not from C programming?

If you used the same SQL conventions as everyone else it would also be
easier to import and export SQL dumps.

Is the goal for Valentina Studio and the further marketing of your database
going to be for SQL users?

Bill

PS - I guess I should have kept this question simple and not ranted but...