[ANN] Valentina 3.0 b1 uploaded.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Apr 24 13:28:31 CDT 2007

Hi Jon,

> I read the release notes, and it seems that 3.0 (at this point) is
> mostly about improving VServer. Is that correct? Have I missed things
> that will be of interest to people  like me (using Valentina as a db
> engine in standalone apps)?

> I'm not sure what triggers are, btw. I'm sure it's something cool...  :-)

Triggers -- this is like EVENTS in REALbasic.
Something that is called automatically when something happens.

Well, triggers, views, backup.

All this CAN be used in LOCAL dbs.
If you want them of course.
Plus ICU remove from vcomponents. Smaller size.

---------------
For info:
    LOCAL only apps can also remove
        VSDK.Framework if no need for Convert_1_2   4 MB
        Vclient   4Mb

    i.e. Go down to 26-27MB.

---------------
More interesting thins are:

1) We have start spend time to write/develop/grow special BENCH project.
    this bench project will be runned e.g. Once per week,
    execute e.g. 100 benches and write into db.

    In case some changes of code will slow down some bench
    we will be reported about this automatically.

So we will get one more mechanism to protect quality of engine.

And this BENCH project will allow us of course PROOFILE this or that feature
of engine to improve it.

Btw, in 2.5.9 I have remove 25% of time in BLOB.WRITE()....may be this step
have break something for you. Although, as I have told, all our own
regression tests are DONE.

So, we plan during nearest 3.x minor updates improve speed of engine where
it is possible. At last of end last 3 years we did not pay attention to
speed too much.

2) during 3.x update we plan yet to do some incremental improvements and
polishing in V4RB API.