4VRB Universal

Dave Addey listmail1 at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Sep 2 09:45:43 CDT 2006

> On 9/2/06 11:20 AM, "Dave Addey" <listmail1 at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
>> I've been able to build a Universal Binary plugin for RB 2006r4 with no
>> problems.  As I understand it, it's only EventInstances in plugins which are
>> still causing problems.  If you don't use them, then you should be fine.
>
> Good, we do not use them.
>
> Then after 2.4.2 release I will start work on this

Great stuff!  I look forward to testing it.

>> In my plugin template, the PPC part is compiled for Mac OS 10.3, and the
>> Intel part is compiled for 10.4.
>
> So what? 10.3 do not means support of OS 9

No.  To compile for OS 9 you will still need to provide a PEF version of
V4RB.

>> One other interesting fact: RB 2006r4a4 is also available as a Universal
>> Binary.  It's a little flaky right now, but it does mean that RB is now a
>> Mach-O application too :-)
>
> Yes I have see this.
>
> I was sure they will offer ONLY MACHO UB build of RB..
> In any case this is near future

I completely agree.  MachO is the way forward!

>> Things are getting a little confused here.  REALbasic can still
>> output executables in various formats.
>
> Hmm, then I wonder how plugin developers support this ?

I guess by producing different versions of their plugins using different
tools to compile for each target (Codewarrior for PEF, Xcode for Mach-O /
UB, Visual Studio for Win, etc. etc.) This is how I do it.

> I wonder because to support PEF and OS 9, plugin developer then must use
> both xcode and dead CW ?

With CoreWarrior discontinued, there is no other way I know of to build a
PEF application now.  So, you have to keep using CodeWarrior for PEF, and
use Xcode for MachO.

> What is official line of REAL on this issue ?

I have no idea :-)

Dave.