4VRB Universal

Dave Addey listmail1 at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Sep 2 09:20:06 CDT 2006

Hi Ruslan,

> As I see on their beta list, all say that plugins are broken.
>
> When you will hear about any first success please let me know.

I've been able to build a Universal Binary plugin for RB 2006r4 with no
problems.  As I understand it, it's only EventInstances in plugins which are
still causing problems.  If you don't use them, then you should be fine.

I even created an Xcode Mach-O template for creating UB plugins, which
you're very welcome to use!  It's here:

http://www.thismuchiknow.co.uk/?p=20

The sample method in this plugin template successfully runs on both PPC and
Intel.

> Tell me please, so REALBasic UB do not support PEF any more, right?
> I assume it support only MACHO and WIN builds.

REALbasic 2006r4 still supports building Carbon PEF applications.  It's only
Universal Binary applciations that are Mach-O only.  Both the PPC and Intel
parts are Mach-O in a Universal Binary.

In my plugin template, the PPC part is compiled for Mac OS 10.3, and the
Intel part is compiled for 10.4.

One other interesting fact: RB 2006r4a4 is also available as a Universal
Binary.  It's a little flaky right now, but it does mean that RB is now a
Mach-O application too :-)

Dave.