V4RB binding example.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Oct 27 15:13:36 CDT 2006

On 10/27/06 1:42 PM, "Kim Kohen" <kim at webguide.com.au> wrote:

Hi Kim,

> First off, these are cool:)  There are a few rough edges and missing
> features (popup menus etc) but as a first draft I think they're
> great.  I changed the listbox example to use my test database
> (210,000 rows) and did a quick comparison between the binding example
> and my test (tutorial) application.

> My test app populates a listbox with 914 rows in 3 ticks. 1500 rows
> in 6 ticks. The same thing with the 'binding' controls takes @ 90
> ticks and @ 120 ticks.  I changed some of the code (took out the loop
> which counted fields and generated the LB columns; replaced it with
> hard coded values) and got the time down to 64 ticks and 99 ticks.

> I'm assuming this is simply RB overhead and it may not be possible to
> optimise too much. Despite the relative slowness, it would still make
> it far easier for a new user to create something from scratch.
> Overall, I'm impressed and really look forward to seeing the second
> draft:)

Hmm, I need look deeply on that. I do not see why must be any difference.

> The update/add/delete example caused me some problems though. When I
> try to update or add a row I get a VException -  "Cursor "1" is read
> only." This is using either my test db or the example created db.
> The navigation seemed to work without issue.

I think Kiril have forget to specify for cursor to be ReadWrite.

Today morning I have add for VCursorControl 3 new parameters Location,
Locks, and Direction. But they now works yet.

------
At current moment I have few not clear things for me

Marc docs show VERY simple app scenario.
    one app - one db - one connection - one window.

But sorry, exists much more complex scenarios:

    one app - many dbs
    one app - many connections

    one connection - many dbs
    one db - many windows