[NEWS] Any problems with 2.4.3? Future 2.5 release

jda jda at his.com
Mon Oct 9 11:00:46 CDT 2006

>  >
>>  Really, Ruslan, you've been promising UTF-8 storage forever!  This is
>>  a main feature for many of use. Please make this happen in 2.5.
>
>I knew you will say this.

I try to be consistent!

>Btw, I ld like ask:
>
>* what about storage to be e.g. Latin-1 ?

Not for me, at least. It's so 1990's...

>* do you have any points why UTf8 can be better of Latin-1 for people hat
>store e.g. pure English into db files ?

Not much. A few things, though. utf-8 is platform-neutral (Latin-1
is, I belive, Windows, like MacRoman is Mac). And even if you use
*primarily* the Latin-1/MacRoman alphabet, you may want to
occasionally stick in something like Greek (as a scientist, I can
tell you it is very common to use Greek letters like alpha and beta
in an otherwise 100% English record). UTF-8 gives you this
flexibility.

If you're saying offer UTF-8 AND Latin-1 as possible encodings, I see
no problem with that at all.

Jon