V4MD 2.5 b11 crashes Director

Pierre Rossel prossel2 at myrealbox.com
Tue Nov 7 22:46:16 CST 2006

Hello Ruslan,

> You should avoid to use BETA in any case for YOUR release.
> Right?

Yes, I think I will be safer with a stable release.

> > OS: Win XP SP2
> > More info:
> > No time to track the bug to simple example, switching back
> to 2.4.3 which is
> > latest stable release.
>
> > Just wanted to show the problem in case it is already known.
>
> This problem sounds like -- a not destroyed cursor.

OK, let's investigate. I never store cursors in persistent variables. Only
local variables that are destroyed when the function exits.
I sometimes use cursor variables in loops, but I assume previous cursor is
destroyed when new one is assigned to the variable. There is no explicit
destructor for cursors, right ? Just setting the variable to void or
assigning it a new value (new cursor) will destroy the previous one. Maybe
it is related to the garbage collector that actually destroys object later ?

The point is: very same procedure produces no crash with 2.4.3, and crashes
with 2.5 b11. There must be something but, since I want to stay with 2.4.3
for my next release, there is no point for me tracking down this bug on 2.5.
(I mean: not yet).

> > By the way, why windows have 2.5 b11 whereas Mac has 2.5 b12 ?
>
> I have ask on this list if somebody need windows build.
> Nobody have answer.

Right, now I remember reading this message. I also remember a message
announcing the 2.5 release for after my deadline, so I thought I would stick
with 2.4.3 for this deadline.

Thank you.

Pierre Rossel