The next improvements

Erne ernestogiannotta at tiscalinet.it
Mon May 22 11:52:01 CDT 2006

On 21-mag-06, at 14:19, jda wrote:

>>  > 3. Allow accented characters in app's pathname -- #522 (look
>> how old that is)
>>>

>> After we ship 2.4 release...this is our plan of the most major
>> features on
>> nearest few months as we see it:
>>
>> 1-a) get edition that work without ICU
>> 1-b) UTF8
>>
>> 2) transactions
>>
>> 3) speed improvements in few areas
>>
>> I underline this is MAJOR steps.
>>

> Hi Ruslan,
>
> Those sound great to me. And indeed they are major.
>
> I do ask (again) that you fix bug #522, please. I must have lost
> thousands of dollars in sales in Europe and Japan because people
> download my app but then trash it when it crashes on launch. I
> can't believe I'm the only  one.

Ugh! I never realized how bad this one is!

In #522 report it looks not so dangerous since it states that only
the drive name should not contain high ASCII characters, but actually
it is the path to VComponents that must be accent-free so, as Jon
correctly states here, if you bundle the VComponents folder into the
app any high ASCII character in the app's pathname will prevent the
app to launch!

Please Ruslan, it should also affect very much yourself since any
cyrillic character will cause this.

Cool Runnings,
Erne.