V4RB 2.3b5 Too Big Maximal Length Error

Bob Keeney bkeeney at everestkc.net
Tue Mar 28 17:04:05 CST 2006

I have a pre-2.2 database file that has a String field length set at
1024.  Using b5 I get the following error:

You have specify too big maximal length for VarChar field "sNotes".

No biggie, right?  Well, my database is encrypted, both data and
structure and I can't even get to a point where I can alter the
table.  I have this code:

   dim tempDB as new VDataBase

   try
     tempDB.Open f
   catch
     tempDB.UseEncryptionKey kStructureEncryption,
EVDataKind.kStructureAndRecords
     tempDB.Open f  <--Throws error above.
   end

...check schema version here

The first open is for the occasional non-encrypted database that we
have (very old versions).  But I get the above error message and
subsequent hard crash of the application even before I can modify the
table to fix the problem.

Is there better way of doing this?  This is very big problem with
production databases out in the field so any assistance is appreciated.

BTW, VStudio lets you make this field 1024 with no errors.

Thanks,
Bob K