Uregex.cpp C API depends on C++ ? Bad idea

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jun 27 12:33:24 CDT 2006

Hi All,

If you remember we develop Valentina database, and on MAC OS X I was going
to use icu.dylib made by Apple.

I was recommended  to use C only API. And this is right. So last few days we
have correct all our code to switch only on C API in ICU.

* But in ICU 3.0 the regex have only draft of C API.

* MACOS 10.3.9 has icu.dylib which NOT include regex C methods. Argh! :(

* MacOS 10.4 has icu.dylib which contains regex C methods -- good.

I was in hope that I will be able add uregex.cpp into our project, and this
will work...but not so easy.

    This file contains references on C++ API of ICU ?!

IMHO this is not best design.

  C API must depend only on C API.

  C API should contain main-core algorithms of regEx.

  C algorithms can wrap some INTERNAL for this .cpp file
        C++ structures/algorithms, but only internal for file.

  C++ of REGEX should be thing wrapper to C algorithms of regex

What you think ?

----
P.S. Now I have only 2 ways:

    a) drop support of REGEX -- not acceptable

    b) drop support of OS X 10.3.9

P.S.2

    Deboragh, I think it will be good idea include into Apple's
    ICU library as many methods/features from ICU as possible.
    Even if they are not used by Apple itself..