[ANN] V4RB mac + win 2.4b21 -- LAZY OPEN implemented!

jda jda at his.com
Sat Jul 22 18:08:08 CDT 2006

Hi Ruslan,

A few problems.

1. When converting a db from V2.0 to V2.4 I drop and add tables. In
the last beta and this one, doing so for a db with 4200 records (lots
of fields, as you know) takes *forever*. This line of code

call vdb.Table("thereferences").CreateVarCharField("user" + str(i),
1022, EVFlag.fNullable + EVFlag.fIndexed + EVFlag.fIndexByWords)

takes almost a minute! Since I'm adding 12 new fields, it takes 10-15
minutes. I don't think it took anywhere near this long in v2.3.

2. In the new beta, during this process, this line causes a silent crash:

call vdb.SqlExecute("delete from misc WHERE propertyName='SearchStrategies' ")

I have cloned the database (diagnose -> OK) and it works in the last
beta, b20, so it looks like a problem introduced in b21.

And to answer your inevitable question, I didn't try this with your
examples (which will work, of course), and the database is very large
(I can upload it to my ftp server if you want it).

Jon