[ANN] V4RB mac 2.4 b18 uploaded

Russ Tyndall fitzbew at nc.rr.com
Mon Jul 17 11:57:01 CDT 2006

On 7/17/06 11:37 AM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> On 7/17/06 6:01 PM, "Russ Tyndall" <fitzbew at nc.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>> I already have look.
>>>
>>> I have told -- only way we see -- is do LAZY open of VarChar and index
>>> files. This require re-write logic of some methods, using new flags, check
>>> of these flags in some number of methods...must be accurate
>>>

>> Well, let me ask -- and if the answer is too complex or proprietary, just
>> say so: why does Win32 require special treatment?
>
> Because IT SEEMS file.flush() works much more slower.
> Reason I don't now.
>
> May be exists other function in WIN API...

So, "file.flush()" is shorthand for some Win API and it is just very slow on
XP, for some reason.  The OS X equivalent is performing at expected speeds.

Wow, it would be great if there was some replacement API that would improve
this without rewriting very much in the Valentina kernel.  Probably wishful
thinking on my [our] part.

>> Is the "LAZY open" a work-around for some unknown OS issue?
>
> Yes.
>

>> I am merely curious. I sense (guess) that something about
>> this problem is still puzzling you.  Of course, it's not important that I
>> understand this, I know that it will be fixed/improved at some point.
>
> Also good point is that LAZY open, should improve Mac OS X side also.

Well, great.  The faster the better.  My fully converted project will be
using an encrypted db, so I will surely benefit greatly from any speedups.

**

I am not in a hurry, but do you have any idea yet of when we might see a Win
V4RB with 24b18?  I'm eager to test my mega-queries on Windows. (which are
working great on OS X.)

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC