[ANN] V4RB MACHO uploaded 2.2 b6

Dave Addey listmail1 at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Feb 9 08:44:41 CST 2006

Hi Ruslan.

>> OSX - crashes!
>>
>> So the crash only occurs when the OSX plugin is used.  All other plugin
>> parts are fine.

> Can you give me URL to this OSX plugin ?

Go to http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.info/realbasic/plugins.shtml and
download the file MBS-RB-Plugins60Mac.dmg .

>From the disk image, copy ³MBS REALbasic OSX Plugin² into your REALbasic
/Plugins/ folder.

Then, launch RB2006r1, and build the Database_CreateCloseOpen test
application as MachO.

> What is it doing?

I think that this particular plugin contains all of the Mac OS X specific
parts of the MBS plugins.  Christian has split the MBS plugin into several
parts, to enable users to only work with the parts they need.

To see exactly what is contained within the OSX plugin, look at this page:

http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.info/pluginhelp/plugins-mbsrealbasicosxplugin
.shtml

> So to start crash enough only have it in plugins folder?

Yes.  To get the crash, all you have to do is to have the ³MBS REALbasic OSX
Plugin² in your Plugins folder when you compile the application.  This is
true even though the built application does not use the MBS plugin at all.
If you remove the plugin and build the application, then it works fine.  (In
both cases you need to copy VComponents into the built application¹s MachO
bundle, obviously.)

> Does this plugin have Carbon/Macho/Windows parts

I¹m not entirely sure.  This part of the MBS plugin contains all of the code
which works on OSX only, I think.  But it may still contain ³wrapper² code
for Carbon and Windows, to make RB think that it has all three, even though
the plugin only does anything on OSX.  Christian is the right person to ask
:-)

Once you have the MBS plugin in your /Plugins/ folder, hopefully you will be
able to replicate the problem on your computer.  Christian¹s comment to the
betas list sounds like a possible cause of the crash:

>> From: Christian Schmitz <support at monkeybreadsoftware.info>
>>
>> szone_free is calling printf, so I expect it wants to print this warning
>> about double free on the console.
>>
>> Check your code. Looks like you free something one time too often or you
>> free a constant string.
>>
>> Mfg
>> Christian

I hope this helps, and good luck tracking down the problem!

Dave.