Release Schedules and Feedback on Fixes

Joakim Schramm joakim at astrocalc.com
Fri Dec 15 18:20:25 CST 2006

> -----Original Message-----
> From: valentina-beta-bounces at lists.macserve.net
> [mailto:valentina-beta-bounces at lists.macserve.net] On Behalf
> Of Ruslan Zasukhin
> Sent: 15 December 2006 17:19
> To: valentina-beta at lists.macserve.net
> Subject: Re: Release Schedules and Feedback on Fixes

Hi Ruslan (and others)

I have stayed out of this discussion so far as I haven't been with Valentina
for so long and also haven't experienced any of this with it, yet. But I
though I may could try to contribute some.

> And here main trap:

Ruslan,

I think your trap is you speed to much ;-)

>     what if YOU find new bug in 2.5 build AFTER 2.7 is released?
>
>     you will ask us make 2.5.1?
>     I believe any company do not do this.
>     they fix bug in 2.7.1 and say you - upgrade to 2.7.1, right?

I think the point is to NOT make a public stable release of one version,
until the previous one been around for some time and have matured, and most
bugs been washed out. I say most I belive there is no bug free code.

You have just release 2.5, and you should let it work for you fo some time,
let it maturing like a good wine ;-) meanwhile you start to produce the next
version, based on the previously branch. Just as with wine, you can let us
taste it while it develops by releasing betas. For our production product we
will use 2.5 and if a bug shows up you will fix it in the 2.5 branch and
release a new revision (if it's urgent enough or you will do it later), AND
at the same time you will also fix this in the 2.6 branch (if still exist as
that part may have been rewritten). This way 2.5 will mature and finally
become rape, and you will be ablew to make good harvest of your work.
Meanwhile, 2.6 (or what ever, it's just numbers) will develop and eventually
the right moment will come for 2.6 to replace 2.5 as THE OFFICIALLY STABLE
RELEASE.

Point is, so far this hasn't affected me as I haven't released anythings
with Valentina yet, but will very soon do and it will be with 2.5 as that is
the currently official release. And I must say, I would rather NOT see you
release 2.6 in 15-20 days as it will effectively leave me behind and if a
bug shows up in 2.5 I will be forced to move up to 2.6, which is yet a new
and unproven release.

This is the point the others have tried to get through to you with, we need
stable releases that last AND by branching this doesn't have to delay
further development or the speed of it. It's just that it is just that,
development NOT production - yet.

My advice is that you branch NOW, this is a good time. Let 2.5 mature, in
15-20 days you can release 2.6 BETA but I don't think you need to hurry with
that - hey it's soon christmas holidays, you need so rest and good food to.
Taking a step out sometimes give a better perspective and inspires to new
ideas. And actually, I belive almost none of Valentinas current users would
really like to see a new version that soon. It is better if you maintain
what you just have released and... Well I think I have said most above. I
think it's better if next release would be 2.5.1 and then 2.5.2 maybe, if
needed. And maybe put 2.6 on hold and move forward to 3.0 in your main
development, while you maintain 2.5 - it would also give you more freedom,
less preasure and free speed! Can it bee better? Instead of 2.6, use the
time to study branching and a source control tool, like CVS, Subversion or
what ever you like to use.

Ok that's it from me about this.

Regards,

Joakim