3.0 question (low priority)

Sims, John (CDC/CCHP/NCBDDD) (CTR) ayu8 at cdc.gov
Thu Dec 14 12:15:25 CST 2006

Hi Ruslan,

In short ... because I am at work and don't have time for a long
explanation :-)

I am hoping to replace a few systems that rely fairly heavily on Access
replication.  I hate Access.  But, we have several researchers that work
remotely on laptops, often travelling to countries without good or any
infrastructure that would support the Internet.  So, we use Access
replication to distribute the database to the various laptops yet still
keep all of the data in a central repository as often as the researchers
are able to sync up their replica.  I would like to look into replacing
Access with Valentina (in fact, I have already done a little work
towards this).  The problem comes with replication.  I have put some
work into creating the functionality but always seem to come a little
short of what I need for various reasons.  When Valentina 2 was in its
early stages and we were discussing its features, it occurred to me that
if I could get a list of RecIDs that are modified or inserted (or,
ideally, deleted) during an SQLExecute, I should be able to finally
achieve what I need.  One of the biggest problems is that the code for
the applications is fairly large and having to re-write it all to work
strictly with cursors and not SQL Inserts/Updates/Deletes would probably
take more time than I would be allowed.  If I had the list of RecIDs, it
would be less work.

If it cannot be done, that's OK.  At the time, you were asking for
"dream features" and this is one of my dreams, to get rid of Access and
use Valentina for these projects :-)

Thanks for your time.

-John