[V4CC] Prepare of beta of Valentina for Cocoa

Justin Drury justin at crunch-recording.com
Wed Apr 19 15:54:04 CDT 2006

> Message: 7
> Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 23:41:13 +0300
> From: Ruslan Zasukhin <sunshine at public.kherson.ua>
> Subject: Re: [V4CC]  Prepare of beta of Valentina for Cocoa
> To: Justin Drury <justin at crunch-recording.com>,	Dave Parizek
> 	<dave at Parizek.com>,	"valentina-beta at lists.macserve.net"
> 	<valentina-beta at lists.macserve.net>,	"valentina at lists.macserve.net"
> 	<valentina at lists.macserve.net>
>
> On 4/15/06 11:34 PM, "Justin Drury" <justin at crunch-recording.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Should I commit my version that uses /Library/Frameworks as the
>> install path (instead of the @executable_path/..Frameworks, which
>> that project you have is)
>
> Frankly saying I don't know yet.
>
> questions:
>
> *   /Library/Frameworks  -- this is for V4CC framework ?
>
>     What about kernel dlls?
>     you have remap them also ?

Yea, kernel dlls and xml errors go into /resources folder of
framework.  So final path is something like...
/Library/Frameworks/V4CC.framework/Versions/A/Resources/
libvkernel_fat_release.dylib

> Yes looks nice I think...and can be installed by drag and drop, yes?

Yes right into xcode, for Intel builds either a copy (or symbolic
link?) needs to be installed in /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk

> * how you see the deployment of Cocoa application ?
>     where will go V4CC.framework ?

Into users /Library/Frameworks.  That way cocoa apps remain very
small, the framework is accessible by multiple computers.
Developer's can easily swap in/out versions of V4CC.Framework(as long
as we make no api change in terminology!)

We should be able to provide script(or just alt build) to make
V4CC.framework embedable in app package[much like vstudio], but its a
few more hoops[with regard to linking in the kernel dylibs into the
framework and may require 10.4 or higher).  IMHO - /Library/
Frameworks is the way to go, very easy to build new apps, one drag/drop.

I bring up again though the need to create a symbolic link to vkernel
in the application/Vcomponents folder[which is otherwise empty].
Anything that can be done to eliminate this step would be great.