v 2.3 -- VarChar limited to 2044 of UTF16 chars (4Kb page)

jda jda at his.com
Wed Apr 5 08:58:37 CDT 2006

>  > Another question. If I do truncate to 1022, will all data be lost, or
>>  just anything longer than 1022?
>
>longer
>
>If do this you should do this using 2.2 engine

That's impossible. If I distribute an update it will be built with 2.3.

Let me explain:

1. I have thousands of users (individuals, not corporate).
2. They have versions of my app at every level (going back to V1.0).
3. My app checks a database on each open and does whatever conversion
is necessary to make it compatible with the current shipping
Valentina engine.

So, conversion must be done ad hoc with each database for each user.

I don't mind changing VarChar[2000] to VarChar[1022], but it must be
transparent to the user.

If Valentina can do that automatically when an older database is
opened, that's fine with me.

Jon