v 2.3 -- VarChar limited to 2044 of UTF16 chars (4Kb page)

jda jda at his.com
Wed Apr 5 07:56:32 CDT 2006

>On 4/5/06 2:46 AM, "jda" <jda at his.com> wrote:
>
>Hi Jon,
>Hi All,
>
>>  Also, it looks like *all* my older databases give the varchar "error"
>>  when diagnosed with b8. They were diagnosed as "OK" with b3, which
>>  makes me think that the diagnosis in b8 may be wrong.
>
>I already see where is problem.
>
>* PageFile store into disk file the size of page.
>
>     your VarChar[2000]  in 2.2 have use 8K page.
>     your database remember this
>
>* now when 2.3 read this it get wrong size - 8K instead of 4K.
>     and even worse -- your data really is located on 8K page.
>     and 2.3 do not have way now to read such pages.
>

>2) We can try implement own algorithm of conversion
>     but we can do this only for case 1a)
>
>     for case 1b) we cannot do this automatically
>     because you need adjust your sources to use Text instead VarChar.

Hi Ruslan.

It seems to me that (2) would be best. Meaning, an algorithm to
automatically convert 2.2 (8K pages) varchar fields to 2.3 (4K
pages). In my case, it is very unlikely that data is stored in the
pages 5-8 (I used a size of 2044 because you told us many times it
was the optimal size in Valentina 2.x).

Would such databases be backwards compatible with 2.2?

Jon