[V4MD] pointer at the same table by binary_link

Sims, John ayu8 at cdc.gov
Fri Sep 16 09:24:28 CDT 2005

Ruslan,

I believe we had this dicussion before.  I believe you must consider the
intention in these situations.  When linking 2 records, the intention is
to have the 2 records linked together.  If they are already linked
together, then your intention is already met and Valentina should just
continue on.  If you unlink 2 records, the intention is to not have the
2 records linked together.  If the 2 records were never linked in the
first place, then your intention is already met and Valentina should
just continue on.

I believe that throwing errors in the situation where you are trying to
link 2 records that are already linked or trying to unlink 2 records
that were never linked in the first place is going to result in a lot of
error handler overhead that will be just there just to trap the error
and move on.  I thought this was the reason you created Link.LinkExists
for situation where developers wanted to check for the link before
proceding...

If myLink.LinkExists(a,b) Then
	msgBox("Link Exists")
Else
	myLink.LinkRecords(a,b)
End if

MUCH!!!! Faster resulting application than one that uses Error Handlers.

Sorry I am late to the discussion, I was out of town.

-My 2 cents

-John