V4REV

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Sun Sep 4 09:47:14 CDT 2005

On Sep 4, 2005, at 1:07 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 9/2/05 5:37 PM, "Trevor DeVore" <lists at mangomultimedia.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, Ivan think he know where you can get in troubles.
>>>
>>> E.g. You do something that return error,
>>> But script ignore that and continue -> crash
>>>
>>> Right now Ivan will add protection which was in VXCMD 1.x
>>>
>>>     if DebugLevel > 0 then all dbRef, tblRef, ...
>>>         will be tested on validness.
>>>
>>> In RELEASE of your app, DebugLevel = 0, so this code will not slow
>>> down you.
>>
>> Perhaps this is already mentioned in the docs.  I don't think it was
>> in Valentina 1.x.
>> I believe this was something that you just had to figure out.
>
> This protection was in 1.x also

The protection was there, yes.  I just want to make sure that the
docs make it very clear that crashes will occur if invalid database/
table/cursor refs are passed in.  In the 1.x docs for the VXCMD there
is a not at the end of SetDebugLevel that says:

If you have level of debugging >= 1 then Valentina will check all
dbRef, boRef and CursorRef
on validity  (note, that fldRef Valentina will not check in any case).

It should also not that - "Hey, Revolution will come crashing down if
you pass in invalid ref."  This should also be mentioned in the
introduction section.  Unexpected crashes don't make developers
happy :-)

>> If it isn't mentioned in the 2.x docs it needs to be in
>> big bold letters.
>
>> The developer needs to be aware that you aren't
>> validating the values the external receives for speed reasons and
>> that a crash will occur.
>
> Wait.
>
> Ivan have add this protection for next build.
>
> So WE DO Validate this in debug level > 0.
>
> When you do release, you do not need this checks, because your code is
> correct.

Yes, just make sure that the fact that you should develop with debug
mode set to > 0 in order to keep the DB from crashing (among other
things) is crystal clear in the docs.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia