[VREV] IOEncoding

ron barber rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp
Tue Oct 25 12:35:14 CDT 2005

Hi

In the Kernal docs and the V4REV docs there is a discussion of
"VDataBase_StorageEncoding( dbRef, [inStrValue] )  " (and a similar
call for VTable and VField) but nothing about "VDatabase_IOEncoding"
yet the V4REV example stacks call the "VDatabase_IOEncoding".

Did the name change somewhere in development or am I confusing two
things?

> 3. But  database could be saved as UTF16 encoding (implemented) so UTF8
>    one (not implemented yet).

I didn't understand no. 3.

I know that both REV and VAL use UTF16 internally.
I think I hear you saying that in order to talk to each other through
the xcmd wrapper, the data must be converted to UTF8.
This is done at creation of the db by

put VDatabase_Constructor() into mDBRef
   get VDatabase_Create( mDBRef, path, "kDscDatBlbInd", 32 * 1024,
"kOsDefault" )
   get VDatabase_IOEncoding( mDBRef, "UTF-8" )

correct?

So at this point, we V4REV users cannot take advantage of utf16
encoding of V4REV. All our db's must be encoded in utf8 until Rev
changes the wrapper of xcmds to allow in/output of utf16?

Thanks,
Ron