Spotlight

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu May 26 23:36:32 CDT 2005

On 5/26/05 10:24 PM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:

> But then Valentina is not the only one facing that issue. I suspect
> that sooner or later Apple will provide an API or SDK to extend
> Spotlight's capabilities in indexing/searching files that Spotlight
> can't touch at the moment.
>
> My guess is that they included SqLite as the engine for Spotlight,
> and if so, it may be a matter of allowing Spotlight to use alternate
> engines through some adaptors, for example.

I do not think they have made so stupid step, Robert.
SQL Lite cannot handle so huge dbs as indexing of the whole HDD.

I know that Apple did have far ago own indexing technology.

SQLLIte was used in Tiger for Core Data Technology.
If to looks on what it can do, it is easy to see that this Core Data tech
just implement persistent of application objects. Where is used this mainly?
Right -- to store preferences.

So as I have see that, SQL Lite was choosed only for small simple tasks.

Of course some developers can try to use that for own classes and try to
store millions of objects, but I think they will meet big problems. Because
the true OO db engines targeted for such tasks (as was NeoAccess in the
past) are much more complex then SQL Lite is.