Cache

jda jda at his.com
Sat May 14 09:46:13 CDT 2005

>  > I have found that the database cache needs to be a *lot* larger in V2
>>  than V1 for the same amount of data. I assume that's because the
>>  stored information for me (mostly text) is UTF-16.
>
>But then not a lots, but 2 times maximum

Hi Ruslan,

Hm, yesterday I had one user with 7000 records. In V1.x this would
require a cache of 6-8 MB. In V2 he had to go to > 15 MB to get
satisfactory results (so I guess yes, about 2X).

>>  My question is, when we get UTF-8 storage, with the cache
>>  requirements go down? Or will the cache still be populated with
>>  UTF-16?
>
>Not sure yet, Jon.
>
>It seems pages in cache will be in UTF8,
>And when record will be loaded into fields, conversion will be done

Ah, that would be good, then.

>>  Also, on a related note, I've found that in some cases having too
>>  little cache -> crashes (e.g. 4 MB of cache not being enough for 7000
>>  records). This never happened in V1.x -- performance just became
>>  unacceptable. Is this an issue you are aware of? Or do you want
>>  examples?
>
>Actually 1.x also did crash for VERY VERY small cache.
>
>It was possible to see only if db has many tables/fields.

Yes, I know. That's why I mentioned the 4 MB cache -> cache. 4 MB is
pretty large I think, and shouldn't cause crashes. I'll notify you
with a db the next time I run into this...

Jon