default values

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri May 6 14:50:01 CDT 2005

I just looked at the issue of default values for fields in V2. The
kernel doc is not consistent on that, so I am not sure whether it is
already supported or is planned to be added soon.

When discussing SetBlank on page 46, there is no mention of default
values. On page 59, the discussion of SetBlank mentions using default
values, but on page 98 there is no mention of defaults again.
Confusing.

Furthermore, SetBlank should allow me to either use or ignore
defaults, me thinks. I can think of situations requiring one or the
other. May be we should have SetDefaults to do what is described on
page 59 and keep SetBlank as described on pages 46 and 98. Or add a
parameter to SetBlank telling it whether to use defaults or not.

I can't say what the situation is for creating new fields. The doc
mentions CreateField() method when discussing CreateTable on page 35
but I can't find it anywhere else in that doc.

Robert Brenstein