V4MD (class VTable) go to a specific record and some API question

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Mar 28 22:50:43 CST 2005

On 3/28/05 9:30 PM, "info at vallemediatime.com" <info at vallemediatime.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ruslan,

> I am tryng the API methods instead of SQL cursor and I've some question:

> 1. how can I go to n record (I look at pag.56-57 of Director Reference...
> Table.firstRecord() etc. but I don't understand how to go to a specific
> record...)

        Table.RecID = pos

> 2. in general can you tell me and list the major differences between VCursor
> and API method?

API methods do not use SQL at all.
Big difference?  :-)

> Now is better continue to use VCursor (like v.1.1) or pass to API method?

All depend on task, your skill, your favor,

I think RULE should be next:

* exists many books and experts that know SQL and cursors.
    so if you have urgent project and other problematic issues
    then use SQL.

* IF you want to study new API way,
    if you feel that SQL is not fast enough for you
    if you just like what you read about API way

  Then try this new style of db coding.

> Where are some limits of API respect VCursor?

API way is bad for REMOTE SERVERS.
So if you plan to have client server then avoid API.

In the same time we have implement API methods for server protocol also.
We think that in local intranet it also can work fine.
You know that new fast ethernet works sometimes even faster of HDDs.

> And the performance... what is more fast?

API Way of course.

    in the same time if you will think in SQL way
    and try do API coding in SQL way, then you will get problems.

        btw, Oliver have step over this barrier  :-)
        Oliver may be you can add your story?

    for example, it is bad idea to do join using API methods.
    will be slower of SQL.

    API methods are intended for NAVIGATIONAL Database model.
    read about it in Valentina Kernel.pdf

    Navigational model require other thinking, other GUI, ...