[V4RB 0000496]: SQL-Problem

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Mar 1 01:21:34 CST 2005

On 2/28/05 8:15 PM, "Ivan Smahin" <IvanSmahin at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

> Actually, I'm also much more closer to the Sybase community :)
> But here is two possible forms of join query (following SQL-92)
> 1)
> ----------
> Select
> FROM
>     T1, T2
> WHERE
>      T1.f1 = T2.f2
> ----------
> 2)
> ----------
> Select
> FROM
>     T1 inner join T2 on T1.f1 = T2.f2
> ----------
>
> It might be nice till we have deal with 2-table join.
> But for many-tabled-join it is not so attractive to write (and read later!)
> such quasi-English sentences. (As you know, the main SQL goal was to have
> something
> like plain english text.)
>
> IMHO it must be your decission what way do you like.

Well, this is if you talk about INNER JOIN.

The main problem with Sybase/MS Sql Server notations of joins
In the WHERE clause is when you use outer joins.

Some books show examples when you cannot specify order how OUTER join should
go if you use several tables.

Solving this task ANSI guys developing SQL92 have invent this new notation
of JOIN in the FROM clause.

So what I want to say is:
    if you use complex join with OUTER JOINS, then SQL92 is better,
    even more, it is the only right way.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com