[V4REV] Constants. Plan 2.

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Mon Jun 20 11:04:34 CDT 2005

>On 6/20/05 11:33 AM, "ron barber" <rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp> wrote:
>
>>>  ----------------------------
>>>  *** Again, now our docs and examples sometimes skip double quotes.
>>>      we have to think this is bad idea, because AT LEAST one place
>>>      require quotes always: when you will specify field flags.
>>>
>>>           Create_VarChar( name, 1022, "fIndexed + fIndexByWords" )
>>>
>>>  Note can be use  + COMA SPACE  as delimiters.
>>
>>  Create_VarChar( name, 1022, "fIndexed fIndexByWords" )
>>  Create_VarChar( name, 1022, "fIndexed, fIndexByWords" )
>  > Create_VarChar( name, 1022, "fIndexed + fIndexByWords" )
>>  are the same right?
>>
>>  Again, this is good to have options that are standard in xtalk. These
>>  three options, plus comma space, are good. It should be stated early in
>>  the docs that these three are interchangeable and then use one
>>  consistently in the docs.
>
>All right, Ron!
>
>--
>Best regards,
>
>Ruslan Zasukhin

Our emails just crossed in internet:) I suggested a moment ago to
consider using

Create_VarChar( name, 1022, "fIndexed", "fIndexByWords" )

instead of the three variations above. This would be equivalent to

Create_VarChar( name, 1022,  "fIndexByWords", "fIndexed")

I think it would eliminate a number of support issues related to
adding literal constants and keeping their order right.

External knows the number of parameters actually passed oand knows at
which position the flags begin. It can self sort them into proper
positions and sums (as in this case) when calling kernel. This can
work, of course, only with passing literal constants, which seems
that Ruslan just decided to do anyway.

Robert