[V4REV] Constants. Plan 2.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Jun 20 10:28:27 CDT 2005

Hi All,

Let me describe again what we have agree.

* Revolution do not have enums. And it do not have constants.

* It is bad idea that external born many global constants or even single
global array with constants.

* Revolution is string - oriented language. So we will define constants as
strings.

----------------------------
* All our docs examples and examples stacks will be corrected to always use
double quotes around string constants.

This is short notation of constant

    VDatabase_Create( dbRef, path, "kDsc_Dat_Blb_Ind", 32 * 1024 )

This is verbose notation of constant

    VDatabase_Create( dbRef, path, "EVMode.kDsc_Dat_Blb_Ind", 32 * 1024 )

This is another one verbose notation of constant, where instead of DOT is
used underscore. In this particular example we see why underscore can be
bad.

    VDatabase_Create( dbRef, path, "EVMode_kDsc_Dat_Blb_Ind", 32 * 1024 )

----------------------------
* We assume that 99-100% of Revolutioners will simply to use short
notation....

Ak....may be just forget about ENUM names ....
Just future it is always simpler if you and we will tell:
    I use constant of EVDbMode

I.e. We will have some kind of terminology.

----------------------------
*** Again, now our docs and examples sometimes skip double quotes.
    we have to think this is bad idea, because AT LEAST one place
    require quotes always: when you will specify field flags.

         Create_VarChar( name, 1022, "fIndexed + fIndexByWords" )

Note can be use  + COMA SPACE  as delimiters.

So we have decide that AT LEAST our docs and exmaples should be consistent,
and always to use double quotes.

* About support of numeric values for ENUM types.

I think it is good idea DO NOT allow this. Because numeric constant is NOT
readable for developer. We have a lots of constants, and I think nobody can
memories them.