[V4REV] problems encountered importing // Japan?

ron barber rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp
Sat Jun 18 23:46:59 CDT 2005

On Jun 18, 2005, at 11:31 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

>> also, please note that if we set the useunicode property to true then
>> the numtochar function can return a double-byte character.
>
>     useunicode property  -- this is property of what ?

Specifies whether the charToNum and numToChar functions assume a
character is double-byte.
If the useUnicode property is set to true, the numToChar and charToNum
functions use double-byte characters. You can pass a number greater
than 255 to the numToChar function in order to generate a double-byte
character, and you can pass a double-byte character to the charToNum
function.

It has no other use.

>> Can Val handle a doublebyte delimiter?
>
> No, right now V4REV expect single byte chars from Revolution
>

> Ron, I already have point, Revolution engineers have told us that now
> external of Revolution cannot talk to it in UTF16 format. And even
> UTF8 it
> seems.

This is the first I have heard of this! Are you saying that Val cannot
send unicode information to Rev? Val can store and retrieve unicode so
what is the problem? If this is true then v4rev is useless in Japan  :
(  so I must be misunderstanding.

> You confirm this also ?

I will let you know as soon as I'm able to build a valdb with unicode
text.
Thanks,
Ron