[V4RB2] 2.0.4fc5 crash - more info

Kem Tekinay ktekinay at mactechnologies.com
Sat Jun 11 10:18:16 CDT 2005

On 6/11/05 5:28 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin at sunshine at public.kherson.ua wrote:

> On 6/11/05 7:13 AM, "Kem Tekinay" <ktekinay at mactechnologies.com> wrote:
>
>> After MUCH work, I determined that the crash happens during a sort and I can
>> now reproduce the bug in a small project!! I am sending the project to
>> Ruslan and filing this in Mantis.
>>
>> MORE INFO:
>>
>> If your app is searching and sorting data while data is being added to it
>> rapidly, the app will eventually crash. I illustrated this by creating two
>> timers. One timer populates the db, the other searches and sorts it. In
>> REALbasic, timers do NOT run concurrently so there is no issue with threads
>> or simultaneous access. Furthermore, the timer that is populating the
>> database is flushing after each added record.
>>
>> In my sample project, the app takes only a few seconds to crash.
>
> Kem,
>
> Can you explain me, how you are able Add and Sort in the same time without
> threads??

Take a look at the project I sent to you. The records are being added in one
timer and the sorting is taking place in another timer. Timers are NOT
threads; their code runs sequentially, not concurrently. That's what makes
this bug so strange.

In other words, it is NOT that the records are being sorted WHILE more
records are added, it is that the records are being sorted IMMEDIATELY AFTER
more records are added, and records are being added rapidly.

It's all in the project I sent to you. Did you get it?