[V4RB2] 2.0.4fc5 crash - more info

Kem Tekinay ktekinay at mactechnologies.com
Wed Jun 8 21:55:01 CDT 2005

I determined yesterday that my crash occurred when I tried searching my
database while there was also a loop in a socket that was adding records. It
turns out that I can crash the app, and corrupt the database, very easily by
doing this, even though I can't figure out why. It's not a thread, after
all, and I'm pretty sure this was not an issue before.

As a test, I let my app run and add records overnight without a problem.
This morning, after about 22,000 records, I stopped the loop, quit the app,
and restarted it. So far so good.

I then started searches and, while they were successful, I found that
searches run on a compressed VText field in related records were taking
almost two minutes each even though the field was indexed by words.
Previously, I had reported that such searches had taken around 2 seconds on
even more records. The only difference between that test and this one (apart
from the different version of V4RB2) is that the VText field is now
compressed.

Thinking that perhaps the indexes were damaged, I quit the app, deleted the
".ind" file, and restarted my app. After a bit of a delay, my app started,
but the index file was less than half the size of the one I had deleted.

I ran a search on a non-compressed VVarChar field in the master records and
that worked. I then tried the related, compressed VText field, but got an
Exception ("compressor error"). My app crashed and I could not start it
again. When I opened the data files in VStudio, all of my tables, and the
data, were gone.

Ruslan, does any of this give you a clue as to what may be going on? And
should searches on compressed VText fields take longer than ones on
non-compressed VText fields?