Returning a partial string

jda jda at his.com
Sat Jul 9 15:03:10 CDT 2005

>  > Use:
>>
>>  s = "select *,authorEditorSortMethod from thereferences where hit>0
>>  ORDER BY authorEditorSortMethod,thedate"
>>

>>  This is pretty much what I want to do now -- create temporary
>>  *methods* that return values I can sort by. This is just like V1, I
>>  think (no?).
>
>But his should work in 2.0 also.
>any problems here ?

Hm, it compiles and runs! I'll have to check and make sure it works OK.

But somewhere in the V2 beta process I was told by you (or Ivan?) I
should use this:

s = "select *,theDateSortMethod,IFNULL(authors,
IFNULL(editors,title)) as 'ff' from thereferences where hit>0 ORDER
BY ff,theDateSortMethod"

instead. And that has never worked...

If I can create a temp method and then dispose of it, that's just fine with me!

Thanks!

Jon