The mystery crash and fault tolerance

John W. Miescher miescher at bizdata.com
Thu Jul 7 18:26:51 CDT 2005

Dear Ruslan,
our problems are not over yet. While I found some work-arounds for
problems cited earlier, I continue to be hit by surprise crashes.

I just made a typing mistake that would ask for or write to a field with
a name that does not exist in the table. I'm guilty, I know. But the
next time I launched the program it instantly crashed because the
DataBase (or at least one of its tables) was corrupted beyond repair. I
had to re-load the backup copy.

It still opened in Valentina Studio, but as you know, my version does
not do the diagnose bit - it just sits there and lets you wait while VS
is endlessly busy taking up CPU time.

This is what I call absence of fault tolerance - I'm just afraid of
encountering more such surprises as we go along.

best regards, john m.