[ANN] V4RB, V4MD, V4REV mac+win 2.0.4fc12

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri Jul 1 16:37:59 CDT 2005

>  Hi All,
>
>  You can download fc12

I just took V4REV Mac fc12 for a quick spin.

1. The examples stack is shaping up nicely. I mean user interface and
functionality. It works also in MetaCard IDE.

2. Where is the "exampleGuide.PDF" that the instructions for Step 3
recommend to use? I don't see it among the downloadable documents.

3. To support MetaCard better, a preOpenStack handler could be added
in the card (!) script of the "V4REV Examples" stack:

on preOpenStack
   if the platform is "MacOS" then
     set the textFont of this stack to "Lucida Grande"
     set the textSize of this stack to 11
     set the textHeight of this stack to 13
   else if the platform is "Win32" then
     -- keep user default ?
   end if
end preOpenStack

This compensates for the fact the MetaCard uses Helvetica 14 as the
default font and example fields are too small for it. This setting
will be inherited by all substacks, hence it suffice to change it for
the mainstack. Actually, setting these always, also for Windows, is
probably a good idea since users can have their IDE font set to sth
too big or not suitable otherwise.

4. The serious problem I see is "Revolution has unexpectedly quit"
which always happens when running 2nd or 3rd example in a row.
Something is seriously wrong. This is very consistent and very
annoying. The same occurs when using MetaCard, so it is most likely
Valentina's doing.

5. The client mode operation is not okay. When I init in the client
mode, all seems fine (no error) but any example that attempts to
change anything in a database crashes Rev right away. From the log
seems that client init connects, or at least attempts to connect, to
the server at localhost. This should result in an error in my case
since there is no server running. (This is exactly a place where a
demo server would come handy.) For now, it would be reasonable for
the example stack to pop a dialog asking for server address and
access info. Or show a button in client mode which allows to set
these (and save them in custom properties for reuse).

Robert