SQL and API methods + benchs // Philosophy of API way. More

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Jan 25 10:38:32 CST 2005

On 1/24/05 12:30 PM, "Olivier" <vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> What is strange in my example, it is that SQL is much faster.
> The API is thus faster only for certain processings?

Oliver,

In my prev letter I have show the main difference of SQL and Navigational
worlds.

SQL *MUST* do joins.

JOIN in fact is very heavy operation!

If you will correctly make GUI of app. Then Navigational way can do much
less of work to get the same data to display for user.

    btw, have you see 4D ?
    4D and FM have so-called Related-View.
    Remember?

    It is easy to see that this is because both 4D and FM,
    do not use SQL way.

** Your main problem is that you really try find *equivalent* of SQL
In the API way. But this is bad idea.

API way this is OTHER world.
It require different GUI, different coding, different thinking.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com