virtuals fields / ViSQL

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri Jan 14 15:39:03 CST 2005

>>>  Because you WANT TO HAVE that both fields have INDEX. Right?
>>>
>>>  And you want to have for f1 index by words.,
>>>  For f2 regular index.
>>>

>  > In V1, indexed is set automatically when index-by-words is set, if my
>>  memory does not fail me.
>
>Right. In 2.0 this is CHANGED.
>
>>  May be in V2, setting indexed-by-words
>>  should automatically imply indexed as well, so indexed and
>>  indexed-by-words are independent settings.
>
>>  I think that having the
>>  latter apply only if the former is set (that is it being a flag
>  > modifier flag) might be confusing.

But having index-by-words set but being not in effect IS confusing/misleading.

This is why I am suggesting that it becomes an independent flag: one
flag (index) controls normal indexing and another flag
(index-by-words) control word indexing. When both are set, the latter
(higher functionality) wins.

I think this would make things clearer for developers.

Robert