virtuals fields / ViSQL

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jan 14 15:55:09 CST 2005

>> Because Valentina 2.0 little differ.
>>
>> If you set only flag fIndexByWords this not means yet create index.
>>
>> Valentina 2.0 now can do searches on NON-indexed fields.
>> So to really build index, you need explicitly say: fIndexed.
>>

> Ruslan, can you explain this a little more, please? This applies to
> SQL, too?

Of course

> So indexes are not needed for full text searching (left(),
> whole word, etc.)?

Guys where you read this?!
Or I explain in bad way ... :-)

> So in V2 indexes are only needed for speed?

Again.

* FIELD can have index.

* To get index you need say fIndexed.

* Valentina 1.x in case of search on NOT indexed field automatically have
set it to be indexed. Valentina 2.0 will not do this and will do NOT-indexed
search.

* Valentina 1.x also automatically build index IF you do sorting on Not
indexed field. Valentina 2.0 ALSO will do this yet.

* fUnique and fIndexByWords in 2.0 do not means that INDEX is built.
    this is just modifiers.

  fld.IndexByWords = true

       // you set modifier, this not means INDEX was built.

  fld.Find()

        // NON indexed search

  fld.Indexed = true    // BUILDS INDEX

  fld.Find()