first cursor

Olivier vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr
Mon Jan 10 12:39:13 CST 2005

Hi list,

A strange thing with my app happens to me.
I have a DB with 83 000 small records.

When I click a menu of my app, a window appears with an Einhugur'
Datagrid (sort of fast listBox) fills 83 000 records.
Thus, when the window opens, a cursor is created to obtain 83 000
records of the DB.

With Valentina 1, the first time when I open this window, the datagrid
puts approximately 1 second to fill.
If I close the window and what I open it again, the datagrid fills
almost immediately.

With Valentina 2, the first time when I open this window, the datagrid
puts ......34 seconds to fill !
If I close the window and what I open it again, the datagrid puts
approximately 1 second to fill.

As the cursor is destroyed every time I close the window, I thought
that the problem was linked to the cache.
But if I puts the cache on 50 Mb, 1Mb or even 0.01 Mb, that changes
nothing! (Same on Valentina 1)
Nevertheless the DB makes 15 Mb with Valentina 1 and 37 Mb with
Valentina 2 ( UTF16).

I also tried my DB with ViSQL for Valentina 1 and ViSQL for Valentina 2.
If I launch a query to select all the records of my table (83 000) :

With ViSQL 1:

- The first time: 0.13 seconds
- If I begin again: 0.06 seconds on average

With ViSQL 2:

- The first time: 0.28 seconds
- If I begin again: 0.22 seconds on average

Olivier