valentina 2

Olivier vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr
Sat Jan 8 07:47:42 CST 2005

Hi Ruslan and list,

> Right now no. I see that 2.0 now is 2 times slower on addRecord.
> Don't know about rest operations.
> But we yet in debug mode for indexes for example.
>
> I think that AFTER we spend a month or so on optimzation and tunning,
> We will make 2.0 faster of 1.x.

Effectively, addRecord is MUCH slower. Far too much.

Example :
AddRecord of records of 4 fields (3 strings, 1 boolean). The 3 strings
(lenght 38) are indexed. one unique. one indexedByWord.

Valentina 1 : cache 20 Mo.
Valentina 2 : cache 50 Mo.
RB 5.5.4

Add x records		Valentina 1		Valentina 2

Add 100			2 secondes		4 secondes
Add 600			2 sec			11 sec
Add 3000			3 sec			50 sec
Add 5000			3 sec			86 sec
Add 8000			4 sec			147 sec
Add 11000		5 sec			212 sec
Add 17000		6 sec			355 sec
Add 25000		8 sec			547 sec
Add 36000		10 sec			875 sec

Even if three strings are NOT indexed and unique,
on the addrecord of 8000 lines, Valentina 2 puts 114 seconds. The gain
is modest.

Valentina 2 is UTF16 but in Valentina 1 EVERY string is TRANSFORM of
UTF8 in ASCII-FRENCH by a RB METHOD.

Are you SURE that you can optimize and accelerate significantly
Valentina 2.0 ?
That you will reach at least the same speed as Valentina 1?
Because the distance is really very important.

thank you

olivier