Open Database and Update Problems

Frank Schima frank-list3 at mindstarprods.com
Tue Jan 4 13:10:17 CST 2005

Hi Ruslan,

On Jan 4, 2005, at 8:56 AM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> b34 must open your db in viSQL.

Argh. It still crashes for me. I've tried 32 kB segment size and 8 kB.
I'm sure I recompiled viSQL with b34 too. Do you still have my sample
project? The database it creates crashes for me too. I'm not sure what
I'm doing wrong.

To be clear, my project (as well as the stripped down sample project
that I mailed you) creates a brand new database with b34 which crashes
in ViSQL b34. And this is without importing any data into it.

> So we can concentrate on crash in UPDATE.
> Please try again.
>
> Since you say problem happens on your big db, but not on small dbs,
> I afraid bug can be in the VarChar field.
>
> Since you make only one table UPDATE,
> I think you can REMOVE all other tables and left only this one to
> reproduce
> problem.
>
> Okay ?

Maybe, but that one table still has sensitive data. Plus I have many
object pointers in it. I will keep working on this and see if that one
table isolates the problem though.

Also, I tried 3 other methods for Updating the table. All 3 eventually
crash.

1. All API way using a Set, .FindNulls and .UpdateAllRecords. Crash
occurs at .UpdateAllRecords.
2. SQL and API way. SELECT into a cursor and .UpdateAllRecords in the
cursor. Crash occurs at .UpdateAllRecords.
3. Loop way. Using a Set, SetIterator and .UpdateRecord. Eventually
crashes after an unknown number of iterations greater than 3 (I stepped
through the code only that far :^)).

Maybe the Varchar field does eventually get corrupted and that causes
the crash.

Shall I create a bug report on this problem?

Best regards,
Frank