valentina 2

jda jda at his.com
Tue Jan 4 09:41:20 CST 2005

>  > > why to have chosen UTF-16 while RB (and Mac) uses everywhere UTF-8 ?
>>
>>  Because it is better.
>>
>>  And this is why we get so hard task.
>>
>>  RB have go by simple way
>
>UTF-16 allows for more accurate sorting of Asian languages like Japanese and
>Chinese. UTF-8 is a design decision. My understanding is that both MacOS X
>and Windows XP use UTF-16 and UTF-8 at different levels
>
>http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/SystemOverview/In
>ternational/chapter_10_section_2.html
>
>Not supporting UTF-8 was a design decision of REAL Software, not Paradigma
>Software ;-)

I can't let this pass -- UTF-16 and UTF-8 are both good, and each is
better *at different things*. For Roman languages with the occasional
accented character, UTF-8 is much more efficient! For Asian languages
UTF-16 is more efficient. As a developer, you know what is best for
you and your users, and you should be able to chose accordingly. For
me, that's UTF-8.

Jon