[ATTENTION], "problem" with FolderItem.Exists

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Feb 20 20:52:16 CST 2005

Hi All,
Hi Jon and Dave (guys that have see this problem)

* first of all I want to say that this is NOT Valentina bug and not
Valentina problem. Next lines will prove that.

* this is REALBasic bug.
   you should put this bug into their bug system.

BUG DESCRIPTION:

    if to create folderItem f1 for a file which already exists,
    then call some third-party function (via plugin)
    to create NEW DISK FILE in that location then REALbasic
    do not see immediately that file was replaced.
    f1 still contains some old FSREf value.

    So if you send to plugin THIS f1 folderitem, then plugin
    get wrong FSREf and cannot e.g open that new disk file.

    On some RANDOM (!!!) basic, REALbasic __is able__
    recognize new file. This can happens for example
    * if you open in RB debugger folderitem
    * or add DoEvent() call
    But in any case this is RANDOM behavior.
    this not always "fix" FolderItem of RB.

Workaround:

    problem will not exists if you create another object
    of FolderItem using the path of older FolderItem.

------------------------
Jon,

In your project using this workaround I have change line

  myDB = new FolderItem( pathDB )

On this code:

  pathDB = defaultDBFolderItem.AbsolutePath
  myDB = new FolderItem( pathDB )

And now your project works with no problems.

    I WANT TO ASC TO CLOSE THIS DISCUSSION.
    This is REALBasic bug, and I not going in any way try
    to "fix" it in the Valentina.
    I have lost 2-3 days on this issue.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com