Changes from 1.x to 2.0

Sims, John AYU8 at CDC.GOV
Fri Feb 11 08:17:16 CST 2005

<snip - Claudius said>

> One other thing as a point of view to RealBasic.
> At the moment I am using
>
> thePerson.FirstName.value=UniCodeToASCII(EditField1.Text)
>
> I would now expect to use
>
> the Person.FirstName.value=UTF8ToUTF16(EditField1.text)
>
> what are all the other RB-User do. Changing Encoding in Valentina to
> UTF8 or using transfermethod!!
>
> Thanks for help
>
> bye
>

> Claudius
</snip - Claudius said>

Hi Claudius,

There have been a few discussion threads here on the beta list about
encodings.  I, myself, have not had to really deal with unicode (yet).
However, I have followed these threads with interest.  If I am correct
(Ruslan, please correct me if I am wrong!!!), V4RB 2.x will handle the
conversion of the REALbasic strings to UTF16 (or whatever the encoding
of the DB).  I am including a previous message that I am basing this on
(Ruslan's response point #3).

On 10/22/04 6:35 AM, "Thierry Nauze" <ohmitou at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I understood well, at present (V4RB 1.10) sorting by language ("
> French ", for example) is made only if the base is "coded" in
> macRomanl.
>
> At present, it don't work) with the encoding " UTF8 ". (???) On the
> other hand, in the version 2 of V4RB it could work. (???)

Hi Thierry,

So you need to make French database, yes?

1) for now do not set UTF8 for database.

2) do simple next:

    db.Locale = "fr_FR"

    db.Create();        // now you have UTF16 db for French locale

You can do not specify anything for fields.
They will inherit locale from database.

3)  work as usually with REALbasic strings.
    on default they was in UTF8.
    this is ok, when Valentina et them it self convert them to UTF16.

Take care.

-John