collations

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Feb 5 17:01:15 CST 2005

On 2/5/05 3:49 PM, "Olivier" <vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr> wrote:

Hi Oliver,

> Collations seem very practical but I read that they slowed down the
> data processing a lot.
> Is it true? For example, some of you use the "collationstrength=0" ?

Jon use it.

Actually I think this will be the main option for all who what
case-insensitive searches and sorting.

Collation affect result of 2 strings comparisons.
So index of Valentina depend on collation.

Search will EACTLY not affect by collation.

> in Valentina 1, I used for a field " CityName ", a second field "
> uppercase ( cityname ) " (method) to examine and comparisons easily.
> it's big but fast.

Agree that its more simple to use collation = 0
For the whole database.

> Ruslan, you wrote :
>
> "Yes, I think REGEX should take into account the current settings of
> field. On the other hand I am not sure that REGEX uses Collator.
> We need read cods on this.
>
> Igor, please check this point and tell us."
> I did not find the answer. REGEX uses collations ?

I afraid still no.

Hmm, we can easy check this. Example IndexByWords should demonstrate it.
It seems it have options for LIKE/REGEX ?
If no, it is good idea to add them.

I think it is very logical that IF we set F1 to collation = 0,
Then LIKE and REGEX must ignore case also.
AT LEAST this should work for Like,
Because REGEX have own options to control Case.   -I

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com